Mud Street Cafe Recipes
Now you can have the great taste of Mud Street Cafe right in the comfort of your own kitchen. Just don't forget to come see us when you are looking for a great place to eat in Eureka Springs.
The Mud Street Muffin
Prepare Oven & Pans
- Preheat oven to 400° for regular oven or 350° for convection oven
- Spray 12 cup regular muffin pan or 6 cup large muffin pan.
Add to food brocessor:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Process ingredients with enough soft butter to form heavy crumbs and set aside.
Sift together in large bowl:
- 2 generous cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Any spices being used
(see note below)
Have prepared 2 cups fruit, fresh or frozen
(see note below)
In a 2 cup measuring cup add:
- 1 Tablespoon any kind of vinegar
(balsamic is wonderful!)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla and any other flavorings to be used (see note below)
- Fill to 1 and 1/3 cups with milk and microwave for 45 seconds.
- In a seperate container melt 1/2 cup of butter in microwave.
- Beat 1 egg into liquid ingredients and add melted butter and beat in.
Add and combine fruit (and nuts to taste if using)to flour mixture, make well in center and add liquid mixture & fold in gently.
DO NOT OVERMIX - this will toughen the muffins.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- If using nuts in the muffins sprinkle same on top of batter in cups.
- Sprinkle generously with crumb topping.
- Bake for 26 minutes then test for doneness. Muffins should be firm to the touch.
(May take as much as 5 min. more baking time)
- Let muffins sit in pan on cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before attempting to remove.
(longer is better)
- Use table knife to help lift muffins from pan.
Any kind of fruit can be used. Cut up into pieces about the size of 1/2 inch of your forefinger. Try different combinations of fruit. If using frozen fruit, do not thaw before hand. Frozen fruit like peaches, blackberries, mangos need to be cut into pieces as above.
There are all kinds of fruit flavorings available. Add a teaspoon to liquid ingredients to match fruit in muffins. Use fruit juice to replace part or all of milk. If using acidic juice like orange or pineapple (with pineapple tidbits for fruit) then omit the vinegar altogether. Add orange or lemon zest to dry ingredients. If you want lemon muffins replace vinegar with 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice and add a Tablespoon of lemon flavor.
Be creative with spice combinations. Use fresh ginger finely chopped.
Experiment!! Have fun!!! no matter what you do, the results will be, at the very least, "interesting"; and at best sublime!